Give this a read and give Heather some love and congratulate her!!! I hope some of these tips will motivate you to get started!!
My hard work is really paying off! Finally after “unbundling” from the cold winter, the 30lbs I’ve lost since January 5th, is being recognized by my co-workers and friends!
Losing weight is a struggle and I’ve battled for most of my life. I know that I’m not alone when I share that there are times that I’ve wanted to hide, not go out or even go to social events because I hated how I looked. There were times when I bought clothes far to big so that I could surround myself in fabric to cover a body that didn’t even feel like my own. I’ve also bought clothes far too small, in the hopes that they might fit or just so I could shop in “regular” stores. I’ve taken only selfies during the times when I wouldn’t let a full length photo be posted online and I’m still trying to let go of my tight hold over every photo that’s taken by my family.
|A BIG step is sharing a full body photo!
With so many incredibly motivating compliments coming my way, it always leads to the questions…”how are you doing it?”, “what are your diet secrets?” I love to share the tips and tricks that have helped ME reach my goals and keep on track. Here are my 10 favourites to share with you to slowly lose weight and stay much healthier!
1. Find a protein powder and bar you love: I love Carrie Burrow’s protein powder that tastes like a vanilla milkshake! She even provides recipes to make a peanut butter, iced coffee and chocolate version! I also usually have a low carb, high fibre, high protein, Simply Protein barfor breakfast most mornings. These bars are sold online or even in a combo box at Costco.
2. Drink more water: I drink between 3-4L of water each and every day. The more you drink, the more you crave and I literally don’t go anywhere without my special water bottles. My trick…get a bottle with a straw. For some reason, I drink far more water from my straw tumbler from Indigo, than the other millions of bottles I have in the cupboard.
3. No Alcohol: It’s been tough, but not as hard as I thought it would be. While I stick to water or soda when I’m out for dinner, I have learned to love soda and a small glass of wine for special occasions. I also had a chance to try alcohol-free, carb-free Premium Near Beer wine and spirits and I know that mixed with soda or even Sprite Zero, these will be my go-to choices while I’m pool and lake-side this summer.
4. Build a Community of Support: I’ve been blessed to have an incredible online coach in Carrie Burrows (sign up for her newsletter here). She checks in, provides tips and motivation and cheers me on in all that I’ve have accomplished. Included in this Facebook group are friends who are also on the same weight loss journey. We share recipes and even the struggles on tough days. I know that having these amazing people in my corner has really helped encourage me and kept me on track. Find a group of friends or strangers looking to accomplish the same goal and create a group online…it might make the same difference in your life!
5. Track Your Food: I’ve been paying for Weight Watchers online for awhile now, not because I’m closely following their program, but for their amazing app. It’s so easy use the tracker and be accountable for every morsel that goes in your mouth. Kids didn’t eat their full bowl of pasta? Don’t automatically eat it! Instead, think about whether it’s worth it enough to track it and count it in your daily calories. Most of the time, it’s not.
6.Save Money to Shop: One of the best things about losing weight is shopping for new clothes. Shopping for clothes becomes fun and enjoyable, rather than something that sends you into an emotional tailspin. Buying new clothes that look and feel fabulous is the best incentive to KEEP GOING and NOT GIVE UP! So, keep shopping (like I did in Niagara), you have my permission to celebrate your hard work!
7. Don’t Cheat: I don’t cheat on weekends anymore. It was creating a cycle of losing and gaining each week and I didn’t see the results of my hard work. Make a committment to treat all days ending in “y”, the same. I know you will get off the roller coaster and actually keep losing weight!
8. Move More: I don’t workout and I know that this is the last piece of the puzzle that I need to focus on…but I AM moving more. I bought some small weights, a skipping rope, workout pants and new running shoes to inspire me to do some small things each day. I’ve even started to jog a bit to the park and around the block to get my heart rate up! Just doing some sit ups, push ups, squats and lifting some weights can get you started on the right path.
9. Get the Whole Family Involved: Get rid of the chips, chocolate, pop and fill the fridge with fresh fruits, different veggies and try new recipes for family dinners. Be more active together, walk instead of drive to the local stores, bring snacks into the movies and support each other eating good-for-you foods. Your good healthy eating habits will be contagious for the kids and maybe even your hubby (Paul’s working on it)!
10. Read Food Labels: Watching carbs has taught me so much about food. Nuts have carbs, as do fruits and even veggies. Healthy and low fat foods that you might be eating, as actually really high in carbs. Keeping your carbs to a minimum means you have to read ALL labels. That chicken you are putting on the BBQ for a hit of high protein is covered in a sauce or marinade full of sugar (aka carbs). Once you are aware of what foods to avoid, it makes it much easier to make healthy choices. Now that I’ve accomplished my main goal of losing 30lbs (with 10 more to hit my long term goal), I can introduce some healthier lower carb snacks, in the appropriate portions. I really like the chocolate Weight Watchers granola bites (only 1 point each) and Pepperidge Farms snack cracker chips. Just remember to keep to serving suggestions and have only once in a while.
I’ve completely changed my life (thanks again to a very smart Carrie Burrows) and transformed my eating habits for good! I hope that these tips that worked for me, help you reach your goals! What are you waiting for?