Today’s post is supported by an article from Dr.Oz, some of which is included at the end of this post. I will include the link for the entire article at the bottom. There is also a very special offer in this post.
Ever since I turned my life around from the “Former Fat Girl Days” I have understood the importance of dietary supplementation. There are six main nutritional components that your body requires. Protein, fat, carbohydrates, water, vitamins and minerals. Each has a role in both basic nutrition and system function. For example, a carbohydrate comes in many forms that equate to energy while the Glucose part of carbs feeds the brain…yes, that is why Carbs are NOT the enemy.
There are many reasons why you should, and in some cases need, to take supplements. But knowing which ones, how much, what combinations, etc, etc can be mind-boggling. I’m not going to try to tell you I have all the answers but I can tell you what you need to look for and well, as I found out today….DR.OZ agrees with me!!
There are times when you want specific supplements like Folic Acid and Iron when you are pregnant or extra calcium when you are recovering from breaking a bone or diagnosed with Osteoporosis. Likewise, there are times you need to avoid some supplements at other times like Vitamin K when you are taking a prescribed blood thinner.
There are very few government guidelines or rules for supplement manufacturers can be so perverted that a clever label can allow for many ingredients not to be listed that you may not want.
I became so frustrated when I was looking for a great protein supplement that I gave up on the “Cake Mix” Brands that are sold in ‘reputable’ supplement stores and formulated my own! That was the only way that I could guarantee the ingredients, the label integrity and the purity of what it is…a great tasting, nutritionally sound protein supplement. Here are the benefits you get with Health and Fitness Systems Protein Powder.
No Bloat, Feel Great – Unlike most protein powders which leave you bloated, constipated and with an upset stomach – Health and Fitness Systems Protein– works with your body to break down amino acids and sugars for superior absorption and digestion.
Burn More Calories – Each serving of Health and Fitness Systems Protein contains 22 grams of high quality metabolism boosting proteins.
Feel full Longer – Unlike cheap bulk protein powders, the superior purification process of Health and Fitness Systems Protein results in the preservation of glycomacropeptides, which have been shown in scientific studies to signal your brain that you are full. This makes it easier to eat less and lose weight.
Mixes Instantly – Just add water for a fast and creamy shake that you’ll look forward to each and every day.
Instant Energy! Kick your Red Bull habit
Email me: firstname.lastname@example.org with the code “Try Before You Buy” in the subject line and I’ll send you a free sample of Health and Fitness Systems Protein. No one else will do that!
Here’s the Dr. Oz highlights.
Dietary supplements encompass a wide range of products that includes vitamins and minerals, herbal products, amino acids, tissue extracts and other compounds. Many dietary supplements – which I’ll refer to as supplements – are extremely helpful in preventing illness; for example, folic acid can prevent birth defects, and calcium and vitamin D can prevent fractures.
However, not all supplements are effective. There are tens of thousands of supplements sold in the US, and while some are very effective, many are not. Even worse, some might actually cause more harm than good. Little is known about the safety of supplements, because Congress requires that the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) assume that all supplements are harmless until proven otherwise. Because the government does not ensure supplement safety, it’s especially important that consumers are careful when purchasing supplements.
Here I’ll summarize some of the most important safety concerns with supplements and then provide advice for selecting supplements safely.
Manufactures of supplements do not need to prove that their supplement is effective before selling it.
Manufactures of supplements do not need to inform consumers about side effects even when the ingredients are known to cause side effects.
Little is known about the health effects of combination herbal supplements.
The amount of ingredients listed on labels is often inaccurate.
Contaminants have been found in many supplements, especially those sold over the Internet.
Here are 8 tips for safe use of supplements:
- The best way to use supplements safely is to avoid supplements you don’t need. Use supplements only if you have reliable information that the ingredient(s) will benefit you. Accurate information can be found at the National Institute of Health’s National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine.
- Select supplements with only the ingredient(s) that you need. If you need vitamin D then select a supplement that only contains vitamin D.
- Avoid supplements with more than one herbal ingredient. It is very difficult to determine the effect that multiple herbs will have on your health.
- If you take prescription medications or have health conditions, ask your physician if the supplement you are considering is safe for you.
- Avoid supplements that are sold to treat an illness, for example supplements sold to treat diabetes, high blood pressure, or high cholesterol. These supplements are more likely to be contaminated with prescription medications.
- Avoid supplements that claim to help you lose weight or improve sexual or athletic performance. These supplements may not only be contaminated with prescription medicines but also with dangerous analogs.
- Purchase supplements in retail stores rather than over the Internet.
- If you experience a side effect from a supplement:
- Stop using the supplement
- Inform your physician
- Inform the FDA
By carefully selecting and using supplements, you can obtain the most benefit from supplements while minimizing the chances of serious side effects.
Here is the link to the full article: