Top 10 “Beat the Cravings” foods and meals. (Some of these I have mentioned before, but they are so good they are well worth repeating).
1. Cut up some fresh fruit (berries, an apple, a pear, 1/2 banana) and put 1-2 tsp of melted natural nut (peanut, almond, cashew) butter on top. One teaspoon goes along way and gives your already sweet fruit a bit more of a kick.
2. Make your own healthy Vegetable Chips. Cut up Kale and sweet potatoes and coat them with olive oil . Add some sea salt and or spices and bake in the oven for 20 – 30 minutes at 250 – 300 degrees C. You really have to watch these, especially the kale, because you don’t want it to burn. You’re looking to get them crispy but if you’re not paying attention, they can easily become burnt and crunchy.
3. Make your favourite hot tea add fruit and ice. Essentially it is herbal tea sweetened naturally. If that isn’t enough sweet for you, add Stevia. This is a great cold drink. This really hits the spot at 3pm when I “think” I want a sweet treat but this naturally sweetened beverage is enough to calm my cravings.
4. Get some sliced turkey and/or roast beef and lay 1 or 2 slices flat on a plate. Add a piece of low fat cheese and wrap it up into a roll. You can also make this into a lettuce wrap by adding a lettuce leaf.
5. Mix some almond or peanut butter with unsweetened organic apple sauce and sprinkle cinnamon on top. A great mid morning or afternoon snack.
6. Go do something you love…haha…I know…I stuck a “non food” one in here. Sometimes we’re not really craving food, we’re just “bored” and need to go and consume ourselves with something we enjoy. For me, sitting at the book store with a green tea, reading magazines, is such a treat! (Although I always come home with more magazines than I will ever possibly be able to read!)
7. Cut up one apple, spread almond butter or peanut butter on top and sprinkle some crushed dark chocolate on top.
8. A decafe green or chamomile herbal tea in the evening is perfect right before bed to calm you after a busy day.
9. After you’ve made your own veggie chips, get make some fresh salsa and have your own chips and dip party.
10. 1 piece of dark chocolate with a dab of natural peanut butter or almond butter. You’d be surprised how 1 piece can go a very long way as far as knocking out a chocolate craving!