Spiral Cut Vegetables Instead Of Pasta? Yes!!
Many people equate switching to a keto / low carb diet with having to give up many of the foods that they love. That is hardly the case. Often it just means having to be more creative when you cook.
In fact, did you know there are many different low carb swaps for carb-filled recipes that allow you to enjoy, pancakes, pizza, crunchy snacks like chips, French fry alternatives, and even pasta! Yes, pasta!
For many, one of the hardest parts of eating low carb is the need to give up pasta that is loaded with starch carbs, but pasta alternatives are made easy with the invention of the spiral cutter!
While you can’t eat pasta made from flour when living a low carb lifestyle, you can use amazing vegetable cutting tools. You can still enjoy your favorite ‘pasta’ dishes, in a very low carb healthy way.
I’m one of them. I love my spiralizer! They have become as important to them as a knife or bowl when preparing healthy meals.
The remarkable and unique taste of dishes that use spiral cut vegetables combined with the nutritional diet benefits they have has people rushing to learn this new healthy form of cooking.
What Is A Spiral Vegetable Cutter?
Spiral Vegetable Cutters come in a wide variety of models and price ranges. They can be found in different forms, from a hand held spiral vegetable cutter to a machine that you feed the vegetables into that does the work for you.
The name is somewhat misleading because these devices are excellent at making spiral cut fruits too.
Use fruits and vegetables that are very solid, two of the best choices are zucchini and cucumbers
Try to avoid using highly irregular shape vegetables and fruits, the straighter the sides the better your spiral cut vegetables will turn out
Hollow core vegetables cannot be used
A good general guideline is the length of the fruits and vegetables to be cut should be longer than 2 inches and the diameter larger than 1 ½ inch
Here are some examples of fruits and vegetables that typically work well in spiral vegetable cutters:
- Butternut Squash
- Summer Squash
Spiral Cut Pasta – Low Carb Style!
Why are spiral cut veggies a good choice?
- For one it fits the mold when designing a diet that is low in carbs that eliminates high starch foods like pasta
- Another reason is that spiral cut vegetables add some excellent taste and texture to any recipe
- Many savory pasta dishes already feature different vegetables in their recipes to enhance the flavor, so spiral cut vegetables only compliment this trend further
- It is also a well-known fact that it is much easier to maintain a low carb diet when you can mimic and enjoy your carb-filled favorites
Currently one of the most popular vegetables to make spiral cut noodles out of is zucchini.
Once the zucchini has been cut, simply steam the spirals or add them directly to your sauce sauce and other ingredients.
You can make various types of low carb spiral veggie dishes that mimic your favorite pasta recipes.
- Try Spiral zucchini with marinara
- Go for Spiral zucchini with spinach and cream sauce
- Think about Spiral zucchini with Alfredo sauce with or without chicken and shrimp
- Spiral zucchini with butter & fresh garlic
- Seeking seafood? Spiral zucchini with clams
- Spiral zucchini with sausages and marinara
- Virtually any other Italian sauce or ingredients you can image
The above can be used as main dishes or even as side dishes to go with your steak, chicken or fish entrées.
There are other vegetables that can be spiral cut to replace starches in recipes including:
- Yellow Summer Squash
Give A Spiral Vegetable Cutter A Try
If you are on a low carb diet, then pick up a spiral vegetable cutter and try it.
You will be amazed how these great high carb swaps will taste. With a spiral cutter, a low carb diet no longer means that you have to cut out your favorite pasta from your menus.
If you want to learn more about living a low carb / keto lifestyle than check out the Flexible Keto System… it’s amazing!
Enjoy and eat well and don’t forget to sign up for my newsletter for all your nutrition, health and fitness information. carrieburrows.com/nl