Funnel Cakes… Who doesn’t love great funnel cakes?
Fried dough. ‘Nuff said.
But then, add some icing sugar, chocolate sauce, strawberries, vanilla ice cream and you have a great tasting 5 gazillion calorie dessert.
Hold on a minute….back the truck up. Who says it has to be like that. What if we could make a healthier version, that still tastes ah.may.zing!
Maybe we could make funnel cakes that are gluten free, sugar free and paleo. I wonder if this kind of magic actually exists?
Healthy Funnel Cakes
1 cup tapioca flour
2 tablespoons maple syrup (I used sugar free)
2 tablespoons avocado oil
Pinch of salt
Avocado oil or peanut oil for frying
1/4 cup sweetener
Heat oil in a small sauce pan until it is about an inch deep (using a small sauce or fry pan will help conserve how much oil you pour in)
- Mix 1 cup tapioca flour, eggs, syrup, 2 tablespoons avocado oil, and pinch of salt in a bowl
- Stir until well combined
- Next spoon the batter into a sandwich bag and once the oil is hot enough to fry, cut the tip of the sandwich bag – or use a small pitcher.
- Drizzle the batter into the hot oil, overlapping, don’t keep it all in one spot. Make squiggles and curly cues as you drizzle)
- Allow the underside to very lightly brown, around 1 minute, then use a fork or slotted spoon, flip the funnel cake over to brown the other side
- Remove from the oil and place it on a paper towel lined plate
- Take your 1/4 cup of sweetener and blend it under it turns into powder in your NutriBullet or blender.
Sprinkle with powdered sweetner, top with strawberries, blueberries….so good!